Life as an educator: Part 3 - Do you know...

Do you know what are the things that make us the educator feeling sad? And disappointed?
One of the things is when you get caught cheating during exam. It marks as a failure in fulfilling our job as an eductor. Seriously.

Personally to me, when something like this happen, it feels like my world has been crushed down.

It feels like, what have I done wrong that triggers you to cheat during exam?

It makes us feel like a failure.

A failure to nurture you into a good person.
A failure to shape you into someone with responsibility.

It is a failure.

We may not say it to you, or even show you how disappointed we feel, but you never know..

When we get home, when we are alone, we tend to wonder why this happen. Is it really our fault or it is just the students themselves....

So for long am in this field, working in a higher institution, there was only one time one of my students got caught cheating during exam. I remember how I felt. Devastated. Disappointed. You name it. I kept on questioning myself for few days. Where did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this kind of attitude? I was there for 16 weeks and all I asked was for you to do your best in three hours time. And yet you gave me this. Hhhhmmmm

Yesterday one student got caught cheating in exam. Ironically the student said there were two other students who cheated as well. No names were given. They planned it together but only one got caught.

You see, 15 minutes before the exam starts is very crucial for you. You have to be at the exam room or hall for at least 20 minutes before the exam starts. Some people will say that, owh, why so traditional and so on. Hey, that 20 minutes we read to you the administrative order on the conduct of exam. We tell, instruct you, before we go and check on you one by one. When we say, please check if you bring any papers into the room, even blank papers, please put them away outside. How good is that... Hhhmmmm

From my own perspective, it's not only exam. Besides to measure your knowledge, to evaluate you, exam teaches you to be responsible in your own doing, to teach you to take responsibility in your own action, to teach you on how to discipline yourself. When people say, abolish exam, it's not relevant anymore, I feel like, huh?! Say whatever you want to say, but you have to look at the other side and think deeper before you say those things.

I had one student before. She did diploma in other college before she went to continue her degree at our institute. I still remember she said this.

When I first got here, I was surprised. Especially during exam. At my previous college, they were not strict during exam. We even cheated. Sometimes the invigilator just left us in the room without supervision. And there were times they just wrote down the answers on the white board for us to copy. 

I was like, are you serious? What's the point of having exam if you did that?

Dear students, if any of you come across this page, think before you do anything. Especially cheating during exam. We were all students once, so we know whatever tactics you try to use to cheat. We are not that stupid enough to let you risk your life to get caught for doing this. Just don't disappoint us. Just remember this, when you cheat, you are actually dragging down your own attitude as a person. Don't keep this kind of thinking, oh it's ok, this is my first time doing this, next time I will not do anymore. Just don't.



No comments:

Post a Comment