Kek Holiday Inn: Its name is Holiday Inn

Yup. You read it correctly. The cake's name is Holiday Inn. or in Malay, Kek Holiday Inn. I baked one for Raya. Why? Heuheuheu. It has one of the most simple ingredients and ways of baking. I got the recipe from my cousin. Oven? Nope. To tell you the truth, am not very good in using oven when it comes to bake.

I mean, zero knowledge in using oven when baking. Besides this cake is a steamed cake. It's kind of traditional. It's a traditional cake that MUST HAVE during Raya. There are many versions on how to decorate the cake. I mean, how to layer it. I didn't layer mine.

Malas.

It takes lots of time to layer. So what I did, I just layered everything before steaming. If you follow the original recipe, it will be like, one layer-steamed, the put another layer-steamed, and keep on repeat till everything is done. I tell you, the original process will take approximately 4-5 hours. Phewwwww

Mine, I just directly layered them before steaming the whole thing. And it took around 4 hours to steam. But I let mine to steam for 5 hours. They say, the longer you steam the cake, the longer you can keep them.

I share you the recipe below. I don't mine sharing it. The deliciousness of the cake will always depends on the sincerity that you have while making. As there is a saying in Malay, LAIN ORANG, LAIN RASA AIR TANGANNYA. And mine, of course laaaaa delicious (although the cake didn't look presentable. Heh. Don't judge the book by its cover. Get to know it, ok. Try it, then you voice out your feedback). Hahahaha😋😋😋😋😋😋😋

Kek Holiday Inn (using 8 x 8 baking pan)

Ingredients450g butter (I opted for unsalted)
1 glass of fine sugar (If you don't like it sweet, reduce. If you like it sweet, up to you. But one glass is just fine for the sweetness)
10 eggs (not more or less. Must be exactly 10. Oh ya, I don't know the size. My cousin got me the regular one)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 small tin/can of sweet condensed milk (Got the small tin. I didn't remember the weight. Will update this part tomorrow. I'll check at home first the tin)
2 glasses of grind biskut Marie/ Marie biscuits (This one you have to grind the biscuits into fine powder. Then you measure into 2 glasses)
200g Horlicks powder
200g Milo powder

These are the things that you will need. Sorry not so sorry for the not so good photo. 
*Please noted that the Marie biscuits powder and fine sugar were not measured yet in this photo. 

Methods:
1. Beat the butter (using electric mixer) together with fine sugar and eggs till it turns creamy, not too fluffy.

2. Put in the vanilla essence, sweet condensed milk and Marie biscuits powder. This one you beat them till everything is mixed well. 









3. Divide the mixing into two bowls.

4. One bowl is mixed with Horlicks, the other one you mixed it with Milo. I recommend you to use electric mixer to mix them.
Choose one: 

5. Then pour (everything) the one with Milo as the first layer. Steam for around 1-2 hours or till it half cooked.
6. Then pour (everything) the one with Horlicks as the second layer. Steam the whole cake for around 4-5 hours. (Don't forget to top/cover the baking pan with aluminium foil)

OR

7. Pour the one with Milo as the first layer. Then pour the one with Horlicks as the second layer. Milo next, and lastly Horlicks. Top the baking pan with aluminium foil so that the water vapor does not get into the cake. Steam for 4-5hours. I steamed mine for 5 hours.

 After cook, let it in the steamer for 5 minutes, then remove.

*If you notice the ingredients above, there is no flour used in this cake. Seriously. So, don't add flour. It just that the cake is made in that way. Most of our traditional cakes do not use flour. After the cake is cool, make sure to wrap it using clear wrapping plastic and keep it in the refrigerator. If you keep it in the correct way, the cake can last up to three weeks.

Wala!!! This is how it looks like.  
Am still not sure how did it get the name Holiday Inn. Hhhmmmm

*Additional photo
Can you spot my Holiday Inn?
🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙊🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈


No comments:

Post a Comment